16 Apr 2021
On 14th April 2021, ECHA recommended to add below 7 substances under authorization to protect people and environment. These includes cyclosiloxanes D4, D5 and D6. These are hazardous, produced in high volumes and widely used.
If these products get added into Authorization list, companies need to apply for authorization for further using them.
- Octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane (D4) – used in washing and cleaning products, polishes, waxes, manufacture of silicones such as sealants which is widely used in the industry.
- Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5) – used in washing and cleaning products, polishes, waxes, dye additive, textile treatments and manufacture of silicones such as sealants.
- Dodecamethylcyclohexasiloxane (D6) -– used in washing and cleaning products, polishes, waxes, manufacture of silicones such as sealants which is widely used in the industry.
- Terphenyl, hydrogenated -used as additives in tapes, electrical insulation coatings compounds, epoxy resins, polyurethane, electric cables, polysulphide sealants, heat transfer fluid, as a plasticiser in high voltage power cables and aircraft sealants.
- Dicyclohexyl phthalate (DCHP) – used as a plasticiser in polymers like PVC, additives in resins, paints and varnishes and also in water resistance in inks.
- Disodium octaborate -used in paints, lubricants, adhesive and construction material.
- Benzene-1,2,4-tricarboxylic acid 1,2-anhydride (trimellitic anhydride, TMA) – this does not have any used under authorization scope. But, included to avoid substitution in epoxy resin hardeners.
Directly or indirectly, you will be affected by this authorization, talk to one of experts to understand how you can simply REACH Compliance management.
Read more about the ECHA Proposal here