12 Jul 2021
On July 8th 2021, ECHA updated the REACH SVHC to 219, by adding 8 hazardous substances into the current 211 SVHC list. ECHA published updates EU REACH SVHC Candidate List twice a year by European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).
In this new update, ECHA has included substances used in cosmetics, scented products, rubber, textiles, and some of them are used as solvents, flame retardants or to manufacture plastics products.
These substances listed as SVHC are hazardous to human health and are toxic for reproduction, carcinogenic, respiratory sensitizers, or endocrine disruptors. Organizations are entitled to follow legal obligations and have to notify ECHA under REACH Regulation about the usage of these substances in their products.
Here is the list of newly added 8 chemicals:
- 2-(4-tert-butylbenzyl)propionaldehyde and its individual stereoisomers : Added to the list because, its toxic to reproduction. Used in Polishes, cleaning agent, scented products, and cosmetics
- Orthoboric acid, sodium salt (CAS -13840-56-7): Added to the list because, its toxic to reproduction and can be found as a solvent in corrosion and inhibitor.
- 2,2-bis(bromomethyl)propane-1,3-diol (BMP); 2,2-dimethylpropan-1-ol, tribromo derivative/3-bromo-2,2-bis(bromomethyl)-1-propanol (TBNPA); 2,3-dibromo-1-propanol (2,3-DBPA): Added to the list because it is carcinogenic.
- 2,2-bis(bromomethyl)propane1,3-diol (BMP) (CAS – 3296-90-0)- seen while manufacturing of polymer resin and in component
- 2,2-dimethylpropan-1-ol, tribromo derivative (CAS – 36483-57-5)/3-bromo-2,2-bis(bromomethyl)-1-propanol (TBNPA) (CAS- 1522-92-5) -Used in polymer production manufacture of plastics products.
- 2,3-dibromo-1-propanol (2,3-DBPA) (CAAS -96-13-9) – Now registered as an intermediate.
- Glutaral (CAS -111-30-8): Added due to Respiratory sensitizing properties. Used in cosmetics, biocides, leather tanning, and x-ray film processing.
- Medium-chain chlorinated paraffins (MCCP) UVCB substances consisting of more than or equal to 80% linear chloroalkanes with carbon chain lengths within the range from C14 to C17 – Added due to PBT. Used Flame retardants, plasticizing additives in plastics, sealants, rubber, and textiles.
- Phenol, alkylation products (mainly in para position) with C12-rich branched alkyl chains from oligomerization, covering any individual isomers and/ or combinations thereof (PDDP) – Added due to reproduction toxicity, Endocrine disrupting properties. Used in the preparation of lubricant additive materials and of fuel system cleaners.
- 1,4-dioxane (CAS 123-91-1) – Added due to carcinogenic. Used in solvents.
- 4,4′-(1-methylpropylidene)bisphenol (CAS 77-40-7) – May be used in manufacture of phenolic and polycarbonate resin.
Talk to one of our REACH Compliance Specialists today to learn how this update will affect you and what you need to do in order to comply with the REACH Regulation!