1 Oct 2019
On 1ST Oct ,2019, European Commission recommended 18 substances of very high concern for (SVHC) to be added in REACH authorization list.
These substances are reproductive toxicants, endocrine disruptors, carcinogens, very persistent and very bio accumulative (vPvB) substances or respiratory sensitizers. They are prioritized due to their high volume and widespread use that can be a threat to human or environment.
The European Commission in collaboration with the Member States and the European Parliament, will take final decision on the inclusion of the substances in the Authorization List and on the dates by which companies will need to apply for authorization to ECHA.
List of 18 substances included in the ninth recommendation:
- 4,4′-isopropylidenediphenol (Bisphenol A; BPA) – Toxic for reproduction, Endocrine disrupting properties in human health and environment. It’s found in Epoxy resin hardeners.
- 1,6,7,8,9,14,15,16,17,17,18,18- Dodecachloropentacyclo[126.96.36.199,9.02,13.05,10]octadeca7,15-diene (“Dechlorane Plus”™) has got vPvB properties .It’s a Flame retardant in adhesives and polymers.
- Reaction products of 1,3,4-thiadiazolidine-2,5-dithione, formaldehyde and 4-heptylphenol, branched and linear (RP-HP) with ≥0.1% w/w 4-heptylphenol, branched and linear (4-Hbl) has Endocrine disrupting properties. Affects environment. Used in Lubricants and greases.
- 2-ethylhexyl 10-ethyl-4,4-dioctyl-7-oxo-8-oxa-3,5- dithia-4-stannatetradecanoate (DOTE) is toxic for reproduction. Found as stabilizer in polymers.
- Reaction mass of 2-ethylhexyl 10-ethyl-4,4-dioctyl-7- oxo-8-oxa-3,5-dithia-4-stannatetradecanoate and 2- ethylhexyl 10-ethyl-4-[[2-[(2-ethylhexyl)oxy]-2- oxoethyl]thio]-4-octyl-7-oxo-8-oxa-3,5-dithia-4- stannatetradecanoate (reaction mass of DOTE and MOTE) – is toxic for reproduction. Found as stabilizer in polymers.
- 4,4′-bis(dimethylamino)-4”-(methylamino)trityl alcohol with ≥ 0.1% of Michler’s ketone (EC No. 202-027-5) or Michler’s base (EC No. 202-959-2) has carcinogenic properties. Available in printing inks.
- Dioxobis(stearato) trilead is toxic for reproduction. Used as stabilizer in PVC.
- Fatty acids, C16-18, lead salts are toxic for reproduction. Used as stabilizer in PVC.
- Trilead dioxide phosphonate is toxic for reproduction. Used as stabilizer in PVC.; rubber production; mirror backing.
- Sulfurous acid, lead salt, dibasic has reproductive toxicity. The substance has no registered uses but is recommended based on grouping considerations as it could potentially replace other lead stabilizers in some of their uses. This is to avoid regrettable substitution.
- [Phthalato(2-)]dioxotrilead has reproductive toxicity. The substance has no registered uses but is recommended based on grouping considerations as it could potentially replace other lead stabilizers in some of their uses. This is to avoid regrettable substitution.
- Trilead bis(carbonate) dihydroxide is Toxic for reproduction. Found in Artists’ paints.
- Lead oxide sulfate is Toxic for reproduction. Used in Mirror backing.
- Cyclohexane-1,2-dicarboxylic anhydride , cis-cyclohexane-1,2-dicarboxylic anhydride , trans-cyclohexane-1,2-dicarboxylic anhydride  (HHPA) has respiratory sensitising properties. Found in epoxy resin hardeners.
- Hexahydromethylphthalic anhydride , Hexahydro-4-methylphthalic anhydride , Hexahydro-1-methylphthalic anhydride , Hexahydro-3-methylphthalic anhydride  (MHHPA) has respiratory sensitising properties. Found in epoxy resin hardeners.
- Tetraethyllead is Toxic for reproduction. Found as an additive in aviation fuel.
- 2-methoxyethanol is Toxic for reproduction. Used as a solvent.
- 2-ethoxyethanol is Toxic for reproduction. Used as a solvent.
Once the final dates are out, the selected companies will compulsorily need to apply for Authorization to ECHA. The inclusion of these substances will avoid any further damage and the substances then will be safe to use.
Talk to our REACH Compliance Experts – +1 872 529 6162 or Email us at email@example.com.